Skip to content

Yellow Mushrooms in Houseplants: Are They Poisonous?

Yellow Mushroom In Potted Plant - What Is Yellow Mushroom In Houseplant? - Is Yellow Mushroom Poisonous? - Can We Eat Yellow Mushroom?

Yellow Mushrooms in Houseplants. Are you a plant lover? Do you love taking care of your indoor garden? If so, you may have noticed a bright yellow mushroom growing in your houseplant.

While it may seem like a fun and unique addition to your plant, it’s important to know whether it’s safe to keep around.

Yellow Mushroom in Potted Plant a.k.a. Flowerpot Parasol: Are They Poisonous to Eat or Touch?

In this blog, we’ll discuss yellow mushrooms in houseplants. Specifically the Leucocoprinus birnbaumii (formerly Lepiota lutea) mushroom. And whether they are poisonous.

What is Yellow Mushroom in Houseplant?

What is Yellow Mushroom in Houseplant - vivid yellow - grows in potted plants that are kept indoors

The yellow mushroom is a common type of fungus that feeds on dead organic matter. They often grow in potting mix or potting soil of indoor plants. Additionally, they are commonly found in damp soil or around decaying plant matter.

As these mushrooms develop, they start off as small yellow mushrooms a few inches tall. They have a distinct bright lemon-yellow cap, which is either oval or bell-shaped. Over time, the cap fades to a pale yellow coloration or white color as it ages.

Furthermore, these mushrooms have several common names, including “Flowerpot Parasol,” “Yellow Houseplant Mushroom,” “Lemon-Yellow-Lepiota,” “Plantpot Dapperling,” “Yellow Houseplant Mushroom,” and “Yellow Pleated Parasol.”

Is Yellow Mushroom Poisonous?

Is Yellow Mushroom Poisonous - Flowerpot Parasol not poisonous to touch, but they compete with your plant for nutrients

Most yellow mushrooms found in houseplants are not poisonous to touch to humans or pets. However, it’s essential to identify the type of mushroom growing in your plant to determine if it’s safe.

One of the most common yellow mushrooms found in houseplants is the Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, also known as the “yellow parasol” mushroom.

While yellow mushrooms found in houseplants are generally not harmful to touch or be around, removing them from your plant is still essential.

Yellow mushrooms can compete with your plant for nutrients, which can result in your plant becoming weaker and less healthy. However, some gardeners claim that they’re not an issue to their growing plants.

Nevertheless, yellow mushrooms can attract pests and insects, which can also harm your plant. Finally, yellow mushrooms can release mushroom spores. When kept around for long, they may trigger allergies in humans and pets.

Can we eat Yellow Mushroom?

According to various reputable sources, including the North American Mycological Association and the Mushroom Expert website, the Leucocoprinus birnbaumii mushroom is not toxic to humans. However, it’s NOT recommended to consume it as a food source.

grow kit banner ad blog

While this mushroom is not poisonous, it can cause stomach upset and other digestive issues if ingested. Additionally, some people may experience an allergic reaction to the mushroom, which can cause skin irritation or respiratory problems.

Toxicity Level of Yellow Mushroom Leucocoprinus birnbaumii

The Leucocoprinus birnbaumii mushroom’s toxicity level is generally low. It’s not known to contain any harmful toxins or chemicals that could cause severe illness or death. However, like most mushrooms, it can cause digestive upset if consumed in large quantities.

It’s important to note that while the Leucocoprinus birnbaumii mushroom is generally safe to handle and not toxic, many other types of mushrooms can be highly toxic and even deadly.

How to Get Rid of Yellow Mushrooms in Potted Plants?

young and mature Yellow Mushrooms growing with a potted plant - young Yellow Mushrooms removed from a pot

If you’ve identified a yellow mushroom in your houseplant and are unsure if it’s safe to keep around, it’s best to remove the mushrooms immediately.

You can do this by carefully digging it out of the soil and disposing of it in the trash. Be sure to wear gloves when handling any type of mushroom, as some can cause skin irritation.

Preventing Yellow Mushrooms in Houseplants

Maintaining a healthy and clean environment is the best way to prevent yellow mushrooms from growing in your houseplants.

Ensure that your plants are not overwatered, as this can create a damp environment that’s perfect for mushroom growth.

Additionally, remove any dead leaves or decaying plant matter from your plants regularly, as this can attract mushrooms.

Final Thoughts

Yellow mushrooms in houseplants may seem like a fun and unique addition to your indoor garden, but it’s crucial to identify the type of mushroom and determine if it’s safe to keep around.

While most yellow mushrooms found in houseplants are not poisonous, it’s still best to err on the side of caution and remove them from your plants.

grow kit banner ad blog

Remember to wear gloves when handling any type of mushroom and dispose of them properly.

Finally, maintaining a healthy and clean environment for your plants is the best way to prevent yellow mushrooms from growing in the first place.



Curative Mushrooms has to post the standard FDA Disclaimer…The statements made regarding medicinal mushrooms have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The efficacy of these products has not been confirmed by FDA-approved research. Curative Mushrooms is not making claims intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. All information presented here is not meant as a substitute for or alternative to information from healthcare practitioners. Please consult your healthcare professional about potential interactions or other possible complications before consuming the medicinal mushrooms. The Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act requires this notice.


This content is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice or to take the place of such advice or treatment from a personal physician. All readers/viewers of this content are advised to consult their doctors or qualified health professionals regarding specific health questions. Neither Curative Mushrooms nor the publisher of this content takes responsibility for possible health consequences of any person or persons reading or following the information in this educational content. All viewers of this content, especially those taking prescription or over-the-counter medications, should consult their physicians before beginning any nutrition, supplement or lifestyle program.



Always looking for ways to improve the health of myself and my family led me to the discovery of medicinal mushrooms and the numerous health benefits they have on the body. My mission is to spread this knowledge and help as many people as possible.

This Post Has 2 Comments

  1. Leucocoprinus birnbaumii won’t “compete with your plant for nutrients,” in fact they make nutrients MORE available for plants because they’re saprobes, which means they break down organic debris. The article alternately says they’re not toxic AND low toxic, but if a mushroom will make you sick if you eat it it’s got some kind of toxin. In this case it’s not known what exactly it is, but it does have some kind of low-level, non-lethal toxin.

    1. Hi, Lionel. Thanks for the info! Yeah, many gardeners actually let those mushrooms hang around because they can be helpful for the plants. They’re usually safe to touch unless someone has specific allergies, but definitely not meant for eating. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The maximum upload file size: 1 MB. You can upload: image. Links to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and other services inserted in the comment text will be automatically embedded. Drop file here

Back To Top

Get Your 'Happy Mushrooms For Sad People' Grow Kit Now & See How Easy Growing Mushrooms At Home Can Really Be...

Even If You Have Never Grown Anything Before In Your Life You Can Get Your Own Happy Mushrooms Grown At Home In The Next 30 Days (Everything You Need Is Included)...
YES!  Give Me My Happy Mushroom Grow Kit Now!